.

Monday, August 14, 2006

So far...

After meeting with my supervisor, I have sorted out the specifics of my research project. This semester I will be designing a small prototype that uses the Real Time Video Synthesis program "VVVV" (vvvv.org), in conjunction with Arduino (arduino.cc) and experimentation with the idea of "data-scratching".

I will be playing around with the concept of "DJ scratching", exchanging the medium of sound with real datasets. The idea is to allow the user to "scratch" through a dataset as though it were a music track. As with video jockeying displays real-time video derived from the music in the form of a display or projection, the project will be similarly derived, but from the datasets being explored. From this interface the user will be able to set down different "tracks" (datasets), overlay them, "scratch" through them, in an attempt to find correlations, outliers, clusters, patterns, and any other items of interest.

The Arduino program will be used to interface a motion sensor (which will detect X,Y position, acceleration, etc). It is intended for this motion sensor to be the user input device that allows the user to "scratch" the datasets.

Currently I am further exploring the VVVV program, to get used to the interface and discover what is possible, and also looking into how it connects to the Arduino program. I am also conducting background research into the art of "DJing" and particularly "scratching", so that I can generate an appropriate metaphor for the project.

Further I will be starting to compile my Research Proposal, which is due on the 25th August.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home